Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Reading Profile

As a young child, I was a struggling reader. My parents did not realize that I had an audio processing disorder, so it took me much longer to learn how to read than my peers. I couldn’t hear the sound that each individual letter of the alphabet makes. I was held back and sent to a school that offered a half grade. After being held back a year in school and spending another year in remedial reading classes, reading became my strongest subject. I graduated high school in the top third of my class and later received a Bachelor’s of Arts in English, and a Master’s in Education.

Reading is my favorite activity. I don’t watch much television because I would rather be curled up under a blanket reading. My favorite genres are romantic suspense, contemporary romance, fantasy, young adult fantasy, and Christian Living.  A few of my favorite authors are Nora Roberts, C.S. Lewis, Kristin Cashore, Kiera Cass, Mark Hart, Laura Story, Matthew Kelly and Victoria Aveyard. My all time favorite book is The Witness, by Nora Roberts.  

So far this year, I have already read nine books (romance and young adult) and its only the 17th of January. I spend a lot of money each month on Amazon for my book addiction.  I also enjoy listening to audiobooks when I'm in the car making my commute to work.  I would be afraid to add up how much money I spend each year on books.

8 comments:

  1. I agree, our tastes are very similar. I loved Red Queen and can't wait for the third book to come out. I also love Nora Roberts, my husband limits my spending on books from Amazon so I frequently use Overdrive from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to download the Overdrive app and give it a try. Maybe my husband will not complain so much about my Amazon spending.

      Delete
  2. I agree, our tastes are very similar. I loved Red Queen and can't wait for the third book to come out. I also love Nora Roberts, my husband limits my spending on books from Amazon so I frequently use Overdrive from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great success story! A lot of children are held back or sent to tutoring because they have difficulty reading or retaining what they have read. Fortunately children can get past their difficulties and learn to love reading, your story proves that!
    I have been wanting to read Red Queen since it came out, I'll have to make time to read it this year! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just had a patron in our library yesterday whose daughter is being tested for a problem that sounds remarkably similar to yours. I'll pass along your words of inspiration that this obstacle CAN be overcome. Thanks for that. As far as your Amazon spending, I can relate, but won't you PLEASE use the library? Overdrive, or your local library equivalent should have plenty for you to read and it's so easy on a Kindle. And I'm with you on many of your favorite authors, especially C.S. Lewis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story. My son was born with a severe and profound speech communication disorder that was also a challenge when learning letters and sounds. It took him well into fourth grade before he could read. I used to think he would never make it. It was difficult being on the parent side and seeing him struggle. I know how hard you must have worked to learn to read.
    I too have looked at Red Queen. I am looking forward to reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great and inspiring reading profile! I love your story! I'll have to look into your favorites. I've never read any of them!

    ReplyDelete