Monday, February 6, 2017

Romantic Suspense Annotation


                                             107789

Heartbreaker

By Julie Garwood

Synopsis

After being forced to take vacation time to get away from the stress of his job, FBI Agent Nick Buchanan receives a phone call from his longtime friend, Father Tom Madden.  Father Tom must share a confession he heard.  His sister Laurent is being stocked by a suspected serial killer.  Agent Buchanan and Laurent must fake falling in love to draw the killer out of hiding, but are they really faking or are their feelings real? 
Elements of Romantic Suspense

Pacing

The reader is quickly pulled into the novel in the first paragraph.  Father Tom volunteered to take Saturday afternoon confession for Monsignor.  The blistering heat and broken air conditioner makes him wish he wouldn’t have been so quick to help.  As he is about to leave a few minutes early, he hears the swoosh of air leave the kneeler followed by a cough.  The pennant with a mocking tone begins his confession with “Bless me, Father, for I will sin.”
Characterization

In the first four chapters are told from each characters point of view to provide background information and build suspense.  Once Laurent, begins telling her story the rest of the novel switches back and forth from Laurent to Agent Buchanan.  The story is told mainly from the threatened heroine’s point of view but switches to Agent Buchanan occasionally while Laurent is in denial about the danger she faces. 
Setting

Holy Oakes is a quiet, university town located in Kansas.  It is the type of small town where everyone knows each other and has one another’s back.  Laurent loves the small town and plans to revive the town’s square. 
Read-a-likes

·         Mercy (Buchanan/Renard/MacKenna Book 2), by Julie Garwood

·         Dying to Please, by Linda Howard

·         Fire and Ice, by Anne Stuart

·         Out of Control, by Suzanne Brockmann

·         Moving Target, by Elizabeth Lowell

·         Untraceable, by Laura Griffin

·         Someone to Watch Over Me, by Judith McNaught

·         All Night Long, by Jayne Anne Krentz

12 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly,

    I enjoyed your review of the book “Heart Breaker.” Your synopsis of the story makes it seem like something that I would enjoy reading. The story of a possible relationship between the FBI agent Nick and Laurent is not something new to stories. The will they or won’t they fall in love story line has been done in books, movies, and television shows before and though it is contrived I like it. Add in the suspense of a serial killer and this would be a romantic suspense story I would consider.

    However, what intrigued me more than your synopsis is the way the book is set up. “The first four chapters are told from each characters point of view to provide background information and build suspense. Once Laurent, begins telling her story the rest of the novel switches back and forth from Laurent to Agent Buchanan.” Reading the point of view of four different people would keep me interested in the story early on. I would most likely pounder over some of the little details between the different character view points of the events.

    Even though I like the four different view point idea I feel that it would get confusing (or I would get confused) if it continued until the end of the book. So, instead by concentrating on the two main characters it seems like the shift in style would be welcomed.

    Thanks for the review.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you would be confused because the author does such a great job transitioning to each chapter and helps you make the connection. And I probably should say the first two chapters are really told with an omniscient narrator not really from the characters point of view. The third chapter is a bit strange because it is told from the perspective of the criminal who sort of causes FBI Agent Nick Buchanan to go on vacation. Then you get Laurent's introductory chapter told from an omniscient narrator.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing that the first four chapters were about the different characters. I think I may also find this confusing. The synopsis sound interesting however. I think I might have to take the time to see if I can work through my confusion and read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't confusing. Each chapter introduces the next character. I enjoyed the book.

      Delete
  3. You did a great job of breaking down the appeal factors for this genre and then giving examples from the book for them. I felt the suspense just from reading your examples! Pacing: the heat and the future tense of the sinner's confession Characterization: the woman in trouble was in denial about the danger she was in... but the reader knows! - that equals great suspense. Even the setting: A small quiet town - this makes the danger even more intense because it's so out of place. I wouldn't mind reading this book now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bless me Father, for I will sin."

    Ooooooh! I like that. I might have to pick up the book. I was going to ask if you enjoyed it but your responses to some of the other comments have answered that question.

    I am a sucker for books that alternate voices. Thanks for including that in your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to add that I liked how you integrated the appeal factors with examples from the story. You set your annotation up well and I like how you pulled me in to wanting to read this story. I have never read this author before and I am intrigued to say the least. Not to mention that I love small towns. I grew up in an area where everybody knew everybody. You could just sit in your yard and wave to people as they passed on the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never go wrong with a Julie Garwood novel.

      Delete
  6. I am so happy that you included the line “Bless me, Father, for I will sin.” That single phrase grabbed my attention and I wanted to read more of your annotation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kimberly! I read a romantic suspense novel for my annotation as well, and it seems like FBI agents are popular in this genre, at least in the romantic suspense books I have seen. From the way you described Holy Oakes, it sounds like the author used a lot of setting description in her novel. While this is a characterization of romantic suspense novels, this high level of description can make the readers really feel like they are part of the action. Great job on your annotation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes quotes can be a huge sell in describing a book, as yours clearly demonstrated! Wonderful annotation and description of appeals. Full points!

    ReplyDelete